“Perfect love sometimes does not come until the first grand child.” – Welsh Proverb
My dad and my mom are the most incredible grandparents to three boys—Christer, three years old , Datu, two years old , and Thomas, nine months old. Before their grandsons arrived, there was peace and quiet, but now, the house is as noisy as a playground everyday but they love it!
Becoming a granddad, says my father, was and is a most exciting feeling. He never thought it could be so life changing! He shares how being a grandfather has changed life for him:
1. Change in priority: Being a grandparent turned his priorities 360 degrees. Whenever he plans on going out on weekends with the grandchildren, he has to make sure that the place is child-friendly.
2. Learning new tricks: As a parent, his style was old school and more traditional. With his grandchildren, he has to re-learn new ways of disciplining that are suited to our method as parents. My dad, being a seafarer, is not so used to taking care of babies – baby boys at that, since we’re all girls in the family. I remember he used to buy us Barbie dolls and doll houses and all the girlie toys, but now, he’s buys basket balls, bikes and robots for the boys.
3. Spending Budget: My parents still work and they still have monthly expenses and a house to take care of. Aside from these, they also set aside a budget for the grandchildren. Usually, they bring pasalubongs whether it be a simple toy, clothes, shoes or food.
4. Rest: Since I live beside my parents’ house, we have an opportunity to constantly visit each other. This means that if they hear their grandchildren having a melt down, they run as fast as they could to give them a hug even if it’s late in the day. If they want to take a nap in the afternoon during weekends, they would do it beside their grandsons.
5. Less: A family friend shared that eversince she had a grand child, she’s had LESS—Less night outs with her husband, less time for herself and her work. But there are no regrets! Having grandchildren makes them both happy and fulfilled. Their apo makes them go home early everyday and encourages them to take care of their bodies more so they can still be with their apo for many years to come.
First time grandparents, check out http://www.grandparents.com for tips on how to be a great grandparent!